Monday, February 10, 2014

Dreams last... so long

When I was a youth, I LOVED Jewel. My eighth grade yearbook page quoted from "Foolish Games" and the quote was attributed to Jewel Kilcher because I knew Jewel's last name. I'd listen to her CD while taking a bubble bath and think about my feelings and feel all my thoughts but not my body, I still wasn't ready for that so I pretended I didn't exist below the neck like any decent woman should. I. Loved. Jewel. Then, I got older.

And nothing changed. The music of Jewel is perfect. Not everything on the internet has to be argumentative or hateful and not all stories about growing up have to be about change. All of Jewel's music is literally the voice of an angel cursed to live here on earth because her voice, face, body and personality were too beautiful for even heaven, accompanied by the mischievous cherub who followed her on her banished journey to our planet on a harp that just happens to sound like a guitar or piano sometimes. But one song in particular is just a universal truth that should be preserved in the Library of Congress alongside all of Twitter but not actually alongside, on a much more prominent and carefully temperature-controlled shelf. That song is "You Were Meant for Me."

"You Were Meant for Me" is the kind of thing all of us hope we are writing when we are writing: a simple grocery list of our activities and emotions that will somehow resonate with anyone who reads it. What's so special about this song is that it doesn't have to be about a lover. It can be about a family member. Your hair after yesterday's impulse haircut (this is where I'm currently at. I had JUST figured my hair out and now it is GONE and WHY). Your God damn keys if you're feeling it enough. And this song doesn't even have to be lonesome. Belt it out with friends and you will never lose them. It's true, it's Jewel angel magic, she makes friendships permanent.

By now, my loyal readers know I think wine goes with anything. I'd like to add that Jewel is the wine of people. Remember that time she went to the karaoke bar in a fake nose and sang "better than Jewel?" Remember when Nick Lachey called her pretty and in one look she said, "Really? You think someone in this room has a successful music career because of their looks and it's ME? My use of the term successful in your case is LIBERAL" but also the look was very cute? Remember how her teeth are???

Guys this has nothing to do with wine I'm just pretty amped about Jewel. Here's the video and lyrics in case you are in a quiet place and cannot play the video at full volume. A fun thing I just invented is you read the lyrics and in your head they play very loudly and also you make up your own video. In that version, if you're like me and often spend all day in PJs, you can replace the word "PJs" with the word "nightguard." Jewel doesn't mind :)



"You Were Meant For Me"

I hear the clock, it's six a.m.
I feel so far from where I've been
I got my eggs I got my pancakes too
I got my maple syrup, everything but you.
I break the yolks, make a smiley face
I kinda like it in my brand new place
I wipe the spots off the mirror
Don't leave the keys in the door
Never put wet towels on the floor anymore' cause

[Chorus:]
Dreams last so long
even after you're gone
I know you love me
And soon you will see
You were meant for me
And I was meant for you.

I called my momma, she was out for a walk
Consoled a cup of coffee but it didn't wanna talk
So I picked up a paper, it was more bad news
More hearts being broken or people being used
Put on my coat in the pouring rain
I saw a movie it just wasn't the same
'Cause it was happy or I was sad
It made me miss you oh so bad 'cause

[Chorus]

I go about my business, I'm doing fine
Besides what would I say if I had you on the line
Same old story, not much to say
Hearts are broken, everyday.
I brush my teeth and put the cap back on
I know you hate it when I leave the light on
I pick a book up. Turn the sheets down.
And then I take a deep breath and a good look around
Put on my pjs and hop into bed
I'm half alive but I feel mostly dead
I try and tell myself it'll be all right
I just shouldn't think anymore tonight 'cause

[Chorus]

Yeah... You were meant for me and I was meant for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment